No restrictions, everyone is welcome to participate from 9 to 11 a.m.
More than 1,350 boxes of wholesome, at-cost food were sold by Top Box Foods Express, a non-profit food delivery organization, during its inaugural Lake County events in September.
The 600 individuals and families at delivery sites in Round Lake, North Chicago and Waukegan seemed very content with their food boxes, said Theresa Sacomani, a Top Box Foods volunteer, who attended all three events.
“Many customers, realizing the incredible value of the box, got back in line again to purchase more boxes. Others made enthusiastic calls to family members to get there before the delivery at Calvary Baptist Church closed,” Sacomani said.
Subsequent deliveries in North Chicago and Waukegan the following week experienced similar success, she said. “Customers and volunteers alike had a great time. We had crowds but the process–from ordering to carrying the boxes to customers’ cars–was quick, easy and fun.”
Top Box Foods Express is a new, once-a-month opportunity for all Lake County residents to purchase delicious foods at up to 40 percent off the retail equivalents. It helps all shoppers’ stretch their food budgets.
No pre-ordering is required. “Simply show up and shop,” Sacomani said. Customers can visit any delivery location, shop and leave with deeply-discounted groceries. Top Box Foods Express accepts credit cards, cash and SNAP/Link benefits.
October deliveries are:
● Saturday, Oct. 11: Calvary Presbyterian Church, 510 N. Cedar Lake Road, Round Lake, from 9 to 11 a.m.;
● Wednesday, Oct. 15: North Chicago Public Library, 2100 Argonne, North Chicago, from 3 to 5 p.m.;
● Saturday, Oct. 18: Carman-Buckner Elementary School, 520 Helmholtz Road, Waukegan, from 10 a.m. to noon.
Top Box Foods Express offerings include:
● Produce Box: A seasonal mix of just-picked fruits and vegetables, $10.
● Meat Box: A variety of USDA Choice chicken, beef, fish or turkey, $11.
● Mega Meat Box: Double the quantity of the smaller meat box, it will contain seven-to-eight protein items; price will range from $20 to $26 according to value of the meats.
● Combo Box: Customers who purchase both a produce and meat box will enjoy a $1 discount for a total cost of $20 for the two boxes.
“Utilizing bulk purchasing power allows Top Box Foods Express to get high- quality products at a great value and then pass on the savings to the customers” explains Sheila Kennedy, co-founder along with her husband Christopher G. Kennedy, son of Senator Robert F. Kennedy, of the Chicago-based Top Box Foods nonprofit. Since its inception in 2012, Top Box Foods has sold more than 300,000 pounds of high-quality, low-cost foods in Chicago. “Our goal is to get more good food to more good people,” Kennedy said.
Top Box Foods Express has formed Community Leadership Teams in each of the three delivery areas. These volunteer teams–comprised of diverse groups of local organizations, activists, students and area residents–work together to “get the word out” in their communities about the monthly, healthy-food opportunities..
Northern Illinois Food Bank is assisting Top Box Foods Express to establish a presence in the Lake County community by providing staff expertise, volunteer resources and delivery trucks.
Next month’s deliveries are scheduled for Nov. 8, Round Lake; Nov. 15, Waukegan, and Nov. 19, North Chicago. For more information about Top Box Foods Express and to learn of volunteer opportunities, call Top Box Foods at 312-257-7890 extension 114, visit www.topboxfoodsexpress.com or email email@example.com
You can also read and add comments on our Facebook page