from Those Who Know
You made your list and checked it twice but are stumped to find the perfect gift for the older adult in your life. What do you get the person who has everything? Luckily the “little elves,” who work at Oak Hill Supportive Living Community in Round Lake Beach and spend a lot of quality time with seniors, have the following gift ideas to share.
Oak Hill’s Top 10 Gifts for Older Adults
- Custom Ornament – Take a photo from a summer family activity like a trip to the zoo or ballgame and make it into a keepsake ornament—some ornaments even let you record a special voice message. www.cafepress.com
- Sleep Sound Machine – A bedside device that plays soothing nature sounds and white noise can help older adults who have trouble falling and staying asleep relax and fall asleep faster. www.sharperimage.com
- Recordable Books from Grandkids – Grandparents will love to listen to stories such as “That’s What Grandmas Do” or “Under the Same Moon” read to them in their sweet grandchildren’s voices over and over again. www.hallmark.com
- Flower of the Month Club – A seasonal bouquet of fresh flowers delivered each month will brighten any home as well as the recipient’s day. www.flowermonthclub.com
- Custom Playing Cards – It’s a good bet that grandpa will enjoy pulling out a deck of cards featuring his favorite ballerina or soccer player at the next poker night! www.makeplayingcards.com
- Theater, Concert, Pottery Studio or Sports Event Tickets – Having a “date night” with a child or grandchild to look forward to is almost as much fun as the outing itself and is a good idea to get on the calendar before things get too busy.
- Flavor Infuser Water Bottle – A simple, easy water diffuser because we can’t say enough about the health benefits of water, and flavoring it with natural flavors adds some nice variety to your eight glasses a day! www.uncommongoods.com
- 2016 Custom Wall Calendar – Make a one-of-a-kind calendar by using family photos for each month and filling in important family birthday and anniversary dates. www.shutterfly.com
- Senior-Friendly CD player – Enjoy listening to music or an audio book with a portable CD player; look for one with big buttons and simple controls such as the Jensen Portable Bluetooth Music System with CD Player sold at Target.
- Ozeri Pocket 3D Pedometer and Activity Tracker – Using a pedometer to track daily steps or the distance of a walk can provide motivation to set higher goals and to go further, especially with this model’s large, easy-to-read digital display. www.amazon.com
Oak Hill Supportive Living Community in Round Lake Beach, located at 76 E. Rollins Road, is a supportive living community that provides quality residential accommodations, amenities, meals, social activities, personal care, and support services for seniors age 65 and older. For more information, please call 847-201-1100 or visit www.Pathwayseniorliving.com
You can also read and add comments on our Facebook page