The mystery surrounding Vice President Mike Pence’s scrapped trip to New Hampshire last week is still alive, with his chief of staff telling reporters Wednesday morning that he can’t yet offer up an explanation.
“I can’t talk about that,” Pence chief of staff Marc Short told reporters on the White House driveway. He said the public could expect an answer “in a few weeks.”
Story Continued Below
Pence was scheduled to visit New Hampshire on July 2 to deliver remarks on America’s opioid epidemic. But Air Force Two never took off, and the abrupt change in travel plans generated significant speculation on Twitter and cable news.
President Donald Trump said last Friday that people should not worry about the situation, while teasing that the reason would soon become public.
“There was a very interesting problem that they had in New Hampshire,” Trump told reporters, adding that the reason will come out “in about a week or two.”
“I can’t tell you about it. But it had nothing to do with the White House,” Trump said. “There was a problem up there.”
Senior administration officials have said the cancellation was not about national security or personal or family issues, nor was it health-related.
Pence’s press secretary, Alyssa Farah, also tweeted last week, “It’s no cause for alarm. He looks forward to rescheduling the trip to New Hampshire very soon.”